Eldon Primary School

Aspiration, Determination, Success

EHCP Process

Extra Help


An education, health and care (EHC) plan is for children and young people aged up to 25 who need more support than is available through special educational needs support.

EHC plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.

Requesting an EHC assessment

You can ask your local authority to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs an EHC plan.

A request can also be made by anyone else who thinks an assessment may be necessary, including doctors, health visitors, teachers, parents and family friends.

If your local authority decide to carry out an assessment you may be asked for:

  • any reports from your child’s school, nursery or child minder
  • Professionals reports e.g. Educational Psychology Report, Occupational Therapy Report, Speech and Language Therapy Report
  • doctors’ assessments of your child
  • a letter from you about your child’s needs

The local authority will tell you within the timeframe whether an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.

If you live in the London Borough of Enfield and attend school in the London Borough Enfield, Enfield is then your Local Authority. It is your home postcode which determines your local authority.

Local Authority Information Pathway

Parental Request for an EHCP