Eldon Primary School

Aspiration, Determination, Success

Enfield Music Service Instrumental/vocal Lessons

Dear Parents and Carers,


Children in Enfield schools have a wonderful opportunity to start learning to play a musical instrument. Instrumental/vocal lessons can be provided at nearly all schools in the borough.

Please read the following information and ask for an application form if you are interested.


Which instrument can my child learn?

Lessons are available on almost any musical instrument including violin, viola, 'cello, double bass, drums, tabla/harmonium, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, saxophone, recorder, guitar, trumpet, cornet, baritone, tenor horn, French horn, euphonium, trombone, tuba, keyboard, piano, voice.


Who organises the lessons?

The lessons are arranged by Enfield Music Service (EMS). EMS will try to organise a tutor to visit the school for any instrument as long as the school has enough children interested in learning to play it.


How much do the lessons cost?

Current prices (based on 10 lessons) range from approximately £61.00 – £162.00. Lessons can be on an individual basis or small group basis (2 or 3 pupils together).

Contact the Enfield Music Service (020 8807 8881) for specific prices.


Can I apply for free lessons?

If your child is in receipt of free school meals, your child’s school may be able to pay towards your child’s lessons – you will need to check with the school if this is the case.

Occasionally EMS will offer free ‘taster’ lessons on certain instruments.

Free lessons and free instrument hire may be available to pupils in local authority care (looked-after children) or children who are adopted.


Do I have to buy the instrument?

You will need to provide an instrument for your child’s lessons and for practice at home. You can hire some instruments from EMS but not guitars, keyboards, pianos, recorders or drums. The current hire fee is £35.00 per term.


Where and when are the lessons held?

Usually, the lessons are held in school and the EMS tutors arrange their timetable direct with the school. The school then tells the pupils what day and time their lesson will be.


You can apply for lessons at the EMS Saturday Music Centre (based at Houndsfield School, Houndsfield Road, N9 7RA) or for lessons at the EMS Tuesday Music Centre (at Highlands

School, Winchmore Hill, N21 1QQ) but there may be a waiting list.


How do I apply for lessons?

Ask your child to collect an EMS application form for music lessons from the school office, or from the teacher in charge of music, or the form can be downloaded here, or from the EMS website ( – search ‘music’). If you need help completing the application form please ask your child’s school for assistance.


We do hope this information has been helpful and that you will give serious thought to letting your child start to learn to play a musical instrument.


Enfield Music Service office

Units 10 & 11 Centre Way

Claverings Industrial Estate

Edmonton, N9 0AP

Telephone: 020 8807 8881


(search ‘Enfield Music Service’ to find the EMS home page)